Monday, May 27, 2013
Recipe: Silas' Lemon Zucchini Bread
The zucchini have invaded, the zucchini have invaded!
And this time I wanted something a bit healthier than the Chocolate Zucchini Bread.
However, I must admit this is the second time I did this recipe before posting...everything has to be perfect to take the picture, right?
And the last time it was eaten before I could drizzle the lemon glaze across the top of it.
Not even five minutes after I had taken it out of the oven, Silas ate it...yes, I said Silas ate it. He was so enthralled with the smell of this bread that he sat by the oven as it was baking.
I take it out of the oven, wait five minutes for it to cool before taking it out of the pan to put it on the cooling rack...all with him sitting patiently at my feet.
I pushed it back on the counter, obviously not enough, turned my back to get something out of the refrigerator, and BAM! He's grabbed the cutting board, pulled the wire rack with the bread off the counter, and ran outside with the loaf!
This bread shall forever be known in my heart as Silas' Lemon Zucchini Bread.
Silas' Lemon Zucchini Bread
2 1/3 cups All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Lemon Zest
Note: Meyer Lemons are the best for baking
1 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Canola Oil
2 Large Eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3/4 cup Light Sour Cream
3 cups Grated Zucchini, patted dry before use
Note: peel the zucchini before grating if you don't want to see green flecks in your bread
1 cup Powdered Sugar
2 tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
Yellow Food Coloring, if preferred for a yellow glaze
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease/flour or spray your loaf pan and set aside.
2. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl.
3. In a well in the center of the dry ingredients, add all the remaining ingredients and mix just until blended.
4. Pour batter into your prepared pan.
5. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Cool 10 minutes in the pan on a wire rack, remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
7. Whisk together ingredients to create a thing glaze and drizzle over the top of loaf once cool.